Weight loss is a serious problem with most of the men and women all around the world. There are many reasons which can cause extra weight gain problems. Diabetes is also one of them. Nowadays, most of the people are using Metformin for weight loss. This drug works on your diabetes and as a result, you start to lose some weight. This medicine makes it easier for your body to absorb the sugar that is present in your blood.
What is Metformin?
Metformin is an oral drug and is very efficient at reducing the levels of sugar in your blood stream. This drug is made available in the form of a tablet that can be ingested through the mouth and works on type-II diabetes. Metformin has helped a few people to lose their weight. However, it is still not clear that why this drug causes weight loss. The studies have shown that many people who have taken Metformin for weight loss for a year or two have lost their weight. It is possible that it reduces the appetite and suppresses your hunger which results in weight loss. It is also said that this drug may also use fat and burn it to generate more energy. This drug usually takes many years to show its effect. Also, the quantity of weight loss differs from one person to another.
How does it work?
Metformin is very beneficial and works on three features which are listed below.
- Decreased sugar production in Liver: Sugar is also formed inside the liver using various types of substances. But Metformin decreases the production of sugary enzymes inside your liver and prohibits the sugar from being released or mixed into the main blood stream.
- Increasing the utilization of sugar in muscular activities: Whatever we eat, it results in formation of sugar which is then released into the blood, body muscles, and liver. Sugar is being used by the muscles to generate energy. But when all the sugar is not managed completely, it gets mixed with the blood causing high blood sugar and weight gain or obesity. Metformin uses the entire sugar to generate energy so that it doesn’t get soaked into the blood.
- Prevents the breaking of fat: Fat is used by our body to generate energy, but the right Metformin dosage can prevent the breakage of stored fat cells of our body. With the demand of energy, the body uses sugar present in the blood or body to generate energy out of it. All the sugar present in the body is utilized in energy generation.
You can use this drug for a few months and note down the blood sugar level in your body on a daily basis. If the sugar level is continuously decreasing, that means it is working for you. You can measure the blood sugar level with the help of HbA1C.
Side effects of Metformin
A limited amount of Metformin is great to lose some weight, but taking this drug in large volume can cause many types of problems. Taking this drug in bulk can be very dangerous. If you have liver or kidney impairment or any other kind of heart related problems, then you should stop using this drug instantly. This drug can also cause loose bowel movement which can last for small time period. These are the metaformin side effects that you need to consider for a healthy life.
It is recommended that you should first consult the Metformin dosage with your doctor or physician and then take it. If you are suffering from type II diabetes or pre diabetes, overweight problems, or obesity problems, then the doctor may provide you with Metformin so that sugar level of your body can be controlled. Most of the people prefer to use insulin, but it is not a permanent solution. Most of the insulin patients have to take insulin injections on a regular basis to lower down their blood sugar levels. So, instead of taking insulin, they can use Metformin for weight loss. Most of the doctors usually suggest Metformin to the overweight people even if they don’t have diabetes. As far as dosage is concerned, you can also consult it with the doctor or physician. You can first start with the low dosage and see if it works for you or not. If you feel comfortable with that quantity only then you should increase the dosage of the drug. You should increase the dosage only after few weeks of usage. This slow rate of dosage in-take might also reduce the side effects which are associated with the drugs.
Meals to take along with Metformin
Following the right diet along with the medicine can work wonders for you. Some of the food items that you can eat with Metformin are as follows.
- Carbohydrate: Generally, carbohydrates break into sugar and starch. So, you should eat complex carbohydrates. You can also choose the food items based on their Glycemic Index. You should prefer taking the foods that have a low GI. For a healthy weight loss, you can include broccoli, carrots, spinach, beans, whole grains, fruits etc.
- High fiber foods: High fiber food is the best when it comes to weight loss. High fiber food is hard to digest by our body. The fiber present in this food reduces the chances of getting heart diseases as well as keeps an eye on your blood sugar level. You can take grains, vegetables, fruits which are high in fiber along with this drug to lose your weight. You can take whole wheat flour, nuts, wheat barn and many other foods which are rich in fiber.
- Fat: If you are looking for weight loss, you should prefer taking polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. These comprise of seeds, nut, salsa, canola oil and olive oil.
Taking a balanced diet with the proper dosage of Metformin and exercises can work wonders for you and you can achieve your dream of getting your body in shape.